My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Choices, Cost and Carbon offset

Another day of sorting out visas and tickets, hopefully by the end of tomorrow I will have everything sorted to get me to Beijing at least! Thanks so much for all the comments, I will try to address some of the issues here, sorry I can’t respond to every question. This is all such a surprise to me, I didn’t think anyone would be so interested in what I am doing, but I am glad I have sparked a debate. I think it is important to think about this in terms of both the impact of air flight on our environment and a much wider debate about the future for our environment.
Choices
I was reflecting today on how easy it is in Machynlleth to make the right choices, it is easy to recycle and compost my waste and I can easily save water and energy too. There are shops and a market where I can buy local food and I can cycle everywhere, even though it is often steep up a mountain (I have lost weight and am fitter too). I wonder how easy it will be when I am away? People have questioned how ‘green’ I will be along the way and mentioned taxis and food as two examples. I don’t take taxis now and do not intend to start. Most bus and train stations are more likely to be in the centre of a city than an airport. Unless there is a desperate need for a taxi (or it is horse drawn) like I am about to miss the boat to Australia, then it is walking for me. In terms of food, I need to eat on the way and would eat if I was at home anyway. Like now, I will always search out local and fresh (organic?) food, which may be easier in certain areas of Southeast Asia anyway, any ideas anyone? I read about a load of cafes in Vietnam where they train street kids in catering and get them work in cafes so I will try to find one of them too. It is all about choices, and I will try to make the best one.
Cost
In terms of cost, my trip is more expensive but it is not out of reach for anyone, you just need to save longer. All the visas are expensive to sort out but otherwise it is ok. The bus to Moscow is £132, The Trans-Siberian £190. I have seen various prices for the train from Beijing to Hanoi between £80 and £160. Trains, buses and boats in the rest of Southeast Asia seem very cheap. The boat to Australia is £1000, this is the most expensive bit and although it will be a great experience to be on the cargo ship I will prefer to sail out of Oz as it will be cheaper and greener.
Carbon Offsets
What about carbon offsets? This is a difficult one to answer and my feelings are mixed. We really need to reduce carbon emissions in the first place, and all those trees just hold onto the carbon ‘til it is released anyway when the tree dies. I think offsetting by direct energy saving activities is better such as buying low energy light-bulbs (they save you money!) or improving insulation in your home.

5 Comments:

At 1:56 am, August 25, 2006, Blogger LimePulp said...

Hi Babs

Don't worry about the peole who leave negative post, how many of them have done anything that has got so many peolpe not only in the UK but from reading the other nice post all other the world talking about carbom emissions.

As a friend I know your not aiming to chance the world, your just one girl taking a small step towards getting people to at least start thinking about what we are doing to the planet today, so that at least our grandchild will be able to go outside and still enjoy the fresh air.

If everybody who reads your blog goes out and just buy a couple of low enegry light bulbs then over the years your one small step will have turned into a giant leap, if not for mankind then at least for the planet.

Oh when I said OUR grandkids I meant OUR as in the worlds not OUR's

As someone has already said, loads of pictures from the trip

If you can hitchhike out of wales in the rain then getting to Brisbane will be a piece of cake, chocolate or carrot I'll leave that choss up to you.

Best of luck again Babs with your trip, your an amazing lady going on an amazing trip, far better and more exciting than sitting in a plane for 20 hours or in front of a computer posting negative thoughts....

 
At 5:49 pm, August 26, 2006, Blogger Robert van de Walle said...

One our own journey towards being more earth friendly, my family and I ended up living out of hotels and at friends' homes for about 5 weeks. We went from buying local food and preparing it in our kitchen and composting the scraps, living in our energy and resource efficient rental unit, to having to buy meals others had prepared, generating great amounts of waste we couldn't control, living in places without compost heaps or even recycling, let alone compact flourescents, and driving much more as we were off our public transit corridors.

I saw what a tremendous opportunity there is, for a "green" hotel/motel experience.

 
At 2:35 am, August 27, 2006, Blogger Marie Javins said...

Six weeks! Not much time. A similar trip took me about six months. Maybe five, but I meandered a fair bit.
KOTO in Hanoi is a restaurant that trains street kids and disadvantaged kids to work in its restaurant. First time I went it was a sandwich shop, now it's a big restaurant. Maybe a bit pricey for Hanoi.

There are horse-drawn taxis in parts of Indonesia, but you're right to catch the ship in Singapore as it gets much harder to go from Indo to Oz than from Singapore to Oz. And public buses are everywhere, no need to take a private taxi. Follow local advice.

Good luck and take your time--at least once the wedding is over. The wedding is the hard part. Much easier to get on a bus in a foreign country or rest for a week on a freighter than people would have you believe.

 
At 6:06 pm, August 27, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

You rock, Babs. :)

You are thinking about the consequences of our seemingly small actions, and I salute you for that. We think nothing of hopping on a plane to go to another continent for a weekend. That kind of thinking really needs to stop, and we should begin reserving travel to far-off lands for special occasions, exactly as you're doing.
Safe travels!

 
At 4:16 pm, August 28, 2006, Blogger City Hippy said...

Hiya

Think this a great idea, bound to be negative posters...what did Gandhi say:

First they laugh at you,
Then they get angry at you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win...

Will be following your trip...well done!

Namaste

Al
www.cityhippy.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home