My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Honeymoon and Beyond



Up at the crack of dawn to head to Fraser Island (the world's largest sand island!) We go in convey and with the VHF radios somehow eye spy becomes the best game in the world with Iceman up front against Fat Cat and Minky the laughs are plenty. We are on the island by 8am when a few people crack open the beers and drive along the sand (a bit wierd and the girls are all shrieking as Daniels zooms all over the place). After a little stop to get some 'pippys' (spelling please someone!) we arrive at Happy Valley and I fall asleep. A lazy day for me but the next day we are up and organised and set off to see some rainforest and lakes. Basin Lake is delicious and you can see why it is a sacred site for the Aborigines. A jolly walk to the fabulous Lake Mackenzie gets us playing 'I went shopping..In Australia' and all we can think about are pies....It is a long day as we didn't really anticipate how long it took to get everywhere on the sand. When we finally get to the town the shop assistant is surprised as all these hungry and crazed poms (and 2 aussies) practically buy the shop up! The next day more exploring the rainforest and trying to climb the huge tree fig (handy footholes) seeing the freshwater turtles (cute) and spotting monitor lizards and looking for the famous sharks (that I never saw but still didn't get in the water just in case!) A few days of exploring later we are off again and up to the little Town of 1770 where we get back to nature, camping right by the beach, I love it being outdoors again and the first night we had a huge downpour and I felt just like I was in my little caravan not being able to sleep from the noise and fumbling for my earplugs in the dark, Joy! We took a reef trip out to the Great Barrier Reef at Lady Musgrave Island which was so amazing. Really well organised and educational and considerate to the wildlife. I have never seen such clear water, it must have been six metres deep and as clear as the clearest thing I have ever seen! Snorkelling with turtles and loads of cool reef fish is great fun. We then walk around the island which is quite pretty but stinks of bird poo (very special bird I am sure but still pooey). So with sadness we depart and head back to Brisbane for the end of my part of the honeymoon trip. The others carry on to Sydney and I hang around in Brisbane, I buy a tent and find the Northey Street City Farm which is a real gem in the city, an organic farmers market, cool chai cafe and I get my eyes read by and iridologist!!! I plan to head to Byron Bay (to find some hippies!) and organise some Wwoofing (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) out in the sticks.

(Hopefully photos should show up of Mackenzie Lake on Fraser Island, the gang playing pooh sticks on Fraser Island and an amazing Tree Fig on Fraser Island- which I did try to climb!)

1 Comments:

At 2:42 am, December 22, 2006, Blogger Anni said...

Hi Babs!
Just want to say Hi! Didn't konw that u did your journey like that. Think its a great thing!
Love, Anita from Byron Bay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home