My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I have sold my first book/Hitching is great!

The exciting news of the week (apart from the fact the rain stopped for long enough for me to finally paint the henhouse with some nice bright green eco-paint to stop it rotting) is that I have sold my first book!!

I was hitching from Machynlleth to Talybont to meet my friend Peter who has kindly been taking lots of time to teach me all about horses with the patient and adorable Buster and Lucy. (More about this future slow, low carbon transport mode another time.) I had missed the bus - as I was buying some new boots from the second hand army stall on the market, which I hope will see me through the winter - and so had to resort to my thumb again. I was quite glad really as the bus is expensive and I always meet really interesting people hitching (scope for a new book maybe?)

I was picked up by David who was on his way to Borth and as with all polite hitching conversations we started chatting about where we lived and what we do for a living. I was lucky today as I discovered David has a library of 10,000 books and was keen to add a new one to his collection. I told him my book wasn't out until January but he insisted on giving me the money there and then and I could sign a copy and post it to him when it came out. What kind-hearted and trusting encouragement. I was over-joyed and now have my £9 (£8.99) safely stowed with his address awaiting the publication date......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home