My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Great Wall Hike 13th September


5.30am start to go to the Great Wall. Didn't want to do a tour but after my recent experience with public transport and language I decided to take ease and a bit more money over pain, tragedy and saving 2 pounds. So a 3 hour coach ride to Jinshingling where we clamber up to the wall to start our 10- 12km hike. No guide as such but soon we have Ling following us, giving us titbits of information and kindly offering us a picture book for 35 Yuan. Apart from the many sellers of water, cola and beer, it was a marvellous way to see the wall. The sky was blue and the scenery was fantastic and we really saw the wall. 4hrs hours walking and then over a rope bridge to the finish line at Si Ma Tai. A drink and back on the coach for 3 hours back to Beijing. I feel like death warmed up by the time I arrive home and so get a bit of kip before trying to eat and make plans for the next day. I get roped into beer drinking and music making in the hostel bar - meet Lucio and Clarence, two great guitar players - who encourage me to play my accordion and accompany me for a few numbers and then retire to drinking with my nice room-mates. Two guys from USA, Mike and Marc - who are really good fun and not too stereotypically American (until drunk) and Carson, from Germany who is working here for a year, also Phillipa from the UK, who's birthday it is, Happy Birthday Phillipa (who gets a special Amelie Waltz with Mike!) I feel like Mum and kick everyone to bed as we have an early start to the Forbidden City tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 12:06 pm, September 18, 2006, Blogger LimePulp said...

Hi Babs

Glad the Accordion is being put to good use, well worth all the extra effort in taking it then.

It doesn't take much persuading to get you drinking does it, at least you have made loads of friends to drink with, even if you do make them all go to bed early..

Have a great time at the Forbidden city doesn't let you down, it should be an amazing place to visit.

Hope all else is going well, no more problems with finding tickets or beds.

Lots of Love And Luck

Steve XXX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home